No matter the umbrella a solution is placed under- IoT, visual communications, or embedded, endpoints are driving more use cases in the real world while also generating and processing ever increasing amounts of information. Generating data shouldn’t be the end goal, the insights and action generated is key to driving value. While traditionally, this data may be uploaded and processed in cloud based infrastructure, Edge Computing changes this pattern in key ways by performing latency sensitive and data intensive computation local to the source of data to drive additional capabilities while containing cloud infrastructure costs.
Several common types of solutions can benefit from Edge Computing. Video analytics is an example of a workload that can cost prohibitive to use in cloud driven infrastructure from a bandwidth and resources perspective. Not sending constant video frames to cloud infrastructure greatly reduces the necessary cloud infrastructure to support the workload. Moving video analytics to an edge computing device also unlocks additional capabilities by lowering latency, including customizing messages to the audience and providing attribution in Digital Out of Home (DOOH) communication applications.
Other data driven, real-time and response applications that can show significant benefit from edge computing:
• Container application platform
• Content caching
• Rapid device provisioning and restoration
Now Micro has built a number of solutions on our existing Visual Data Device (VDD) and Edge Cluster platforms:
• ImageSync – A high performance and secure file synchronization and system imaging/provisioning solution
• Edge Cluster – A compact, high performance platform for containerized applications
We consider these solutions only the beginning of the possibilities of Edge Computing. There are numerous application specific workloads that can benefit from low latency and high performance computing on-premise. We look forward to working with integrators, ISVs and end customers to help design and build these future looking solutions.
For further Information
• To view our full range of IoT/Digital Signage devices: https://nowmicroplayers.com
• High performance Visual Data Device specification computing appliances – https://nowmicroplayers.com/Solutions/VisualDataDevice
• Our new container optimized container workload device: https://nowmicroplayers.com/Embedded/Product/DMPN-7i3-i5-i7-Cluster